Make anyone feel welcome with this amazing hearty soup!
4 tablespoons butter, divided
2 chopped yellow onions
¾ cup chopped celery
8 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, coarsely chopped (or 3-4 russet potatoes)
12-ounces Irish ale
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 cups whole or 2% low-fat milk
4 oz. Gruyere cheese, shredded
4 oz. sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
3/4 cup finely minced parsley
Crisp cooked bacon crumbled
1. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a 6- to 8-quart stockpot. Add onion and celery; cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
2. Add potatoes, ale, stock, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender about 45 minutes.
3. Melt remaining butter in a medium saucepan; gradually add flour, whisking until smooth. Cook 3 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Slowly stir in milk, whisking until hot and thickened. Add cheese, stir until melted.
4. Stir cheese mixture into potato mixture until combined. Cook over very low heat for 10 minutes.
5. Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with parsley and bacon. Serve with pretzel bread or soft baguette.